We’ll be taking an after-work field trip for our July meeting to learn about the big picture behind an Atlanta institution, the Cyclorama. In February, the Atlanta History Center opened Cyclorama: The Big Picture, featuring the fully restored cyclorama painting, The Battle of Atlanta. At the centerpiece of this new multi-media experience is a 132-year-old hand-painted work of art that stands 49 feet tall, is longer than a football field, and weighs 10,000 pounds. This painting is one of only two cycloramas in the United States—making Atlanta home to one of America’s largest historic treasures. We’ll tour the exhibit and hear from the Atlanta History Center President and CEO Sheffield Hale about how they confronted the messy history of the Cyclorama head on to tell the story of not only the move from the Zoo to the Atlanta History Center, but also how perceptions of history, and the painting itself, have depended on the eye of the beholder.
Beginning at 6 p.m., we’ll have a barbecue buffet donated by LowCountry Catering, and our program will begin promptly at 6:30 pm.
About Sheffield Hale, Atlanta History Center, President and CEO:
Prior to joining the Atlanta History Center in 2012, Hale served as Chief Counsel of the American Cancer Society Inc. and was a Partner practicing corporate law in the firm of Kilpatrick Townsend LLP. Hale serves as a Trustee of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Fox Theatre Inc., Buckhead Coalition, and the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau. He is a Past Chair of the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, the Atlanta History Center, St. Jude's Recovery Center, Inc., and the State of Georgia's Judicial Nomination Commission.
- Register by Monday, July 8 for regular rate: Members: $39/ Non-members: $59
- After July 8: Members: $49/ Non-members: $69
- Due to limited space we cannot accommodate walk-ins.
- Parking is complimentary in the Atlanta History Center parking garage.
- All reservations are final. Programming is subject to change. There are no cancellations and PRSA Georgia does not issue refunds for the registration fee.
- There will be a BBQ Buffet with vegetarian and gluten-free options available.
- The BBQ buffet was generously donated by LowCountry Catering.