The Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. (ABI) is the largest public infrastructure redevelopment program in Atlanta’s history that includes 22 miles of light-rail transit located in the Atlanta BeltLine corridor, 33 miles of trails, over 1,200 acres of new parkland, 46 miles of new streets and streetscapes, public art, 1,100 acres of brownfield reclamation, and the creation of more than 30,000 jobs and 5,600 affordable housing units in the neighborhoods surrounding an underutilized railroad corridor. In addition, ABI is committed to advancing equity and inclusion within the organization, along the corridor, and throughout all programs and projects.
The Communications and Media Relations Manager is responsible for developing and implementing ABI’s PR and media strategy, building its reputation and ensuring effective media coverage locally, regionally, and nationally. He/she/they will draft or oversee the creation of media releases, blogs and content on social media, forge relationships with journalists and key influencers, and manage the response to ‘crisis’ situations. The person in this role must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, write clean, compelling copy under deadline and be familiar with the latest trends in media relations. Successful candidates will have strong analytical skills, be highly organized and efficient, able to prioritize and multi-task, and will thrive in an environment that is characterized by significant growth, diversity, and change.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and implement publicity strategies for all ABI initiatives, including a crisis management strategy.
- Create and manage a PR plan, including budgets, timelines, etc.
- Organize media events, such as ribbons cuttings and press tours.
- Manage the organization’s public relations firm and oversee all their activities.
- Work with the PR agency to measure and provide monthly reports, as well as reports for each PR campaign/announcement.
- Work with public relations firm to manage the media list.
- Manage the comprehensive editorial calendar that is inclusive of press announcements, blogs, emails and social media.
- Work with subject matter experts and responsible team members from Atlanta BeltLine, Inc., Atlanta BeltLine Partnership and 3 rd party vendors to coordinate all elements into the calendar, including negotiating or adjusting timing based on competing priorities.
- Manage all inbound media requests and draft appropriate responses.
- Manage and/or produce written collateral for media, including media kits, press releases, media alerts, statements, talking points, thought leadership articles, op-eds, and blogs.
- Serve as company spokesperson as needed.
- Analyze media coverage of the organization.
- Liaison with the Design & Construction, Housing, and Community Planning and Engagement departments on behalf of the Communications department to plan for all communication-based initiatives.
- Coordinate activities with the various subject matter experts, including shepherding the development of signage and wayfinding, creation of campaigns and tracking
- Collaborate with GIS manager and marketing manager on map production to ensure accuracy across platforms
- Build relationships with media and all relevant stakeholders, including partner organization counterparts.
- Assist in management and execution of executive positioning for the organization
- Develop talking points, speeches and presentations.
- Work closely with executive leadership on interview preparation and media training.
- Oversee CEO reports and departmental reports for the Board of Directors
- Help in drafting and/or reviewing a variety of promotional and marketing materials.
- Assist with research, and student and community project requests.
- Update and maintain website content.
- Understand all facets of the project and distill technical or complex information into language appropriate for the general public.
- Seek out and engage in professional development and educational opportunities to stay abreast of current trends in public relations and communications.
- Promote the Vision, Mission and Core Values of ABI while fostering a collegial work environment.
- Understanding of the impacts of institutional and systemic barriers on marginalized communities and a commitment to integrating equity and inclusion throughout all facets of your work.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field is required.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of experience in public relations or communications.
- Proven track record of working with the media.
- Hands on experience in content management with solid writing and editing skills and the ability to create quality content in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, project management and time management skills, with superior attention to detail and the ability to deal effectively with people at all levels.
- Commitment to promoting the Vision, Mission and Core Values of ABI while fostering a collegial work environment.
- Demonstrated leadership, strategic-thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to share creative and new ideas.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment; must be versatile and a self-starter; able to maintain a high level of professionalism, integrity and confidentiality.
- Enthusiastic go-getter who is willing and able to attend in-person and virtual community events and meetings.
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data and information.
- Familiarity with social media platforms is required, with demonstrated use of social media in a professional setting.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and WordPress preferred.
- Experience using Salesforce and Asana (or other project management tool) are helpful, but not required.
- At least a basic knowledge of one or more of the disciplines covered by the Atlanta BeltLine—e.g., urban planning, greenspace development, transportation, affordable housing and community development issues–is preferred.
- Understanding of the impacts of institutional and systemic barriers on marginalized communities and a commitment to integrating equity and inclusion throughout all facets of your work
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Equity Note: Research suggests that women and Black, Indigenous and other persons of color are less likely than men and white job seekers to apply for positions unless they are confident they meet 100 % of the listed qualifications. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, and allow us to evaluate the knowledge, skills and abilities that you demonstrate, using an intentional equity lens.