Organization: Georgia Department of Economic Development
Date Posted: 12/4/2019
Country: United States
Primary Category: Employment
Salary: $50,000.00 yearly
Type of Position: Full-Time
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s
Experience Requirement: 1-2 years
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Georgia Department of Economic Development (GDEcD) is the state’s sales and marketing arm, the lead agency for attracting new business investment, encouraging the expansion of existing industry and small businesses, addressing macro level workforce issues, locating new markets for Georgia products, attracting tourists to Georgia, and promoting the state as a destination for arts events and location for film, music and digital entertainment projects, as well as planning and mobilizing state resources for economic development.
GDEcD’s Marketing & Communications Division develops and manages all public relations, marketing and advertising needs for GDEcD; upholds and manages brand standards; and maintains multiple web platforms including Georgia.org and ExploreGeorgia.org. Under immediate supervision of the Director of Communications, the Communications Specialist will assist with all internal and external communications for the Global Commerce, International Trade and International Relations divisions including agency-wide needs of the Georgia Department of Economic Development. The Communications Specialist will help plan and implement the agency’s internal and external communications strategies; write and edit content and copy that includes press releases, publications, advertorials, newsletters, social media, web content and speeches; and assist with special projects as required.
Other responsibilities include: functioning as a point of contact for media; day-to-day implementation of internal communication and messaging; partnering with creative design/production team to develop editorial content for collateral pieces; partnering with interactive team to create appropriate content for online distribution.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a closely related field AND 2 years’ professional level experience working in public relations or the media OR 5 years of experience in a closely related position.
- Excellent writing, editing and speech writing skills.
- Expert proofing ability.
- Experience with curating social media content for multiple platforms.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule in order to meet aggressive deadlines.
- Experience with project management.
- Experience working with graphics and production/creative teams.
- Expertise in AP style.
- Advanced degree in communications, journalism or closely related field.
- 3 years’ professional level experience working in public relations or the media.
- Experience with print, broadcast, and online media relations.
- One or more years of experience working in economic development field.
- Relationships with statewide media.
- Experience with content management, Basecamp and Cision platforms.
To apply for this position, you must submit your resume and cover letter (PDF format preferred) via e-mail to: email@example.com no later than the deadline listed above. Include the position title and location in the subject line of your e-mail. If you do not have internet access or require an accommodation because of a disability, please contact GDEcD Human Resources at 404- 962-4000.
Additional Information for Applicants:
All qualified candidates will be considered but may not receive an interview. Preference will be given to applicants who meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications. Information on publicly posted social media accounts may be reviewed as part of the screening process. Applicants who are not selected for interviews will not receive notification.
To be considered for a salary offer above the entry level, the successful candidate MUST have most of the education and experience qualifications shown as preferred. To receive an offer at the top of the range posted, experience must exceed preferred level. Offers will not exceed the top amount posted.
Applicants selected for hire will be subject to a background check, including a criminal history record check. Depending on the position, the background check may include education verification, credit check, and driving record. Additionally, male applicants between 18 and 26 years of age must present proof of Selective Service Registration if hired.
If travel is required for a position, the selected candidate will be required to pay travel expenses (hotel, meals, etc.) up front and will be reimbursed within one week of expense statement approval.