The director of communications provides leadership and direction for all strategic internal and external communication for Dalton Public Schools. In alignment with the district strategic plan, this position leads the work of planning, developing, implementing and evaluating a communication plan that uses electronic, traditional and digital mediums to increase awareness and understanding of both internal and external stakeholders. The director provides support to the superintendent and schools on issues of management, public relations and crisis communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements a strategic communications program that tells the district’s story of excellence, diversity and tradition
- Oversees all aspects of the internal and external communications efforts of the district, including design, production and distribution of all communication materials
- Serves as the district’s primary point of contact for media inquiries, manages all media relations, and serves as the district spokesperson as needed
- Serves as a confidential advisor to the Superintendent on district issues
- Plans and executes internal and external special events including Convocation, American Education Week activities, school board recognitions, etc.
- Manages district staff, parent and community stakeholder engagement through advisory groups, special purpose meetings, special events or projects
- Creates opportunities for stakeholder input while establishing feedback loops such as steering committees, focus groups and forums.
- Provides central-level support and oversight for school councils at each facility
- Monitors and analyzes public opinion and feedback through surveys
- Provides strategic communications advice to school administration, including but not limited to, crisis communications, media relations and stakeholder engagement.
- Provide central level support and oversight for school councils at each facility
- Performs other duties as determined by the Superintendent
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible management level experience including senior leadership level experience in school districts, education organizations or private sector
- Excellent written and oral communication skills: overall knowledge of the total operation of the school system; organization; ability to deal and communicate effectively with individuals and groups
- Accredited in Public Relations preferred
- To apply for this position, please click here.