The Marketing Manager will serve as the liaison between the Division of Public Relations and Communications and the Division of Institutional Advancement on donor communications. The purpose of this position is to develop and execute media and marketing strategies, tactics and materials in support of communications for donor contributions and events and other fundraising/development related activity. The Marketing Manager will work in collaboration with the Division of Public Relations and Communications and Institutional Advancement teams to fulfill the duties of this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attends regular meetings and establish regular communications with Institutional Advancement (IA) staff to stay informed of donor contributions and events.
- Provides regular updates to supervisor and Communications staff on donor communications plans to ensure coordination across the two Divisions and other campus partners, as appropriate.
- Collaborates with IA, Communications, campus partners and donors/partners on the development and execution of integrated communications plans, marketing campaigns, materials and story narratives to announce donor partnerships and or gifts.
- Develops materials for outreach to prospective donors, including College fact sheets, IA annual reports, talking points, presentations and other materials as needed.
- Collaborates with the Communications Digital/Web team to create social media and web-based materials related to donor/partnership and alumnae giving.
- Cultivates relationships with philanthropic media and develop and maintain media lists for story opportunities.
- Develops message frames and story ideas to pitch to philanthropic media.
- Manages media interviews and develop briefing materials related to donor communications activity.
- Ensures the Spelman brand is consistent across media, marketing and presentation materials.
- Stays abreast of new trends in marketing strategies and emerging technologies to help position the College with prospective and current donors.
- Assists with the coordination of donor related special events and activities and represent the College at marketing and donor related events and meetings.
- Identifies and guides the work of appropriate vendors (writers, editors, designers, photographers and videographers) and works with campus partners to produce collateral that stays within their budgets and promotes their initiatives while ensuring Spelman brand consistency.
The qualifications described here are representative of those required to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required. A minimum of four years of direct experience in marketing, fundraising or other communication functions, as well as the ability to write and edit on deadline. A background in higher education or covering higher education issues is preferred but not required.
This position requires problem solving skills and the ability to make decisions and recommendations that involve the production of marketing collateral and raising the visibility of the College through various fundraising/development and communication activities.
The position requires exceptional oral and written communication skills and highly developed analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills. The incumbent must have a professional demeanor and the ability to apply creative vision, as well as a solid knowledge and understanding of the editorial, publishing, public relations and marketing processes. Independent judgment is necessary to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload with attention to detail. Work requires fact-finding and compilation skills, plus ability to perform a variety of tasks simultaneously, most times with little supervision.
Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills and the ability to work well in a team environment are essential as the position will interact with many departments and divisions, including administrative and faculty-led groups. The Marketing Manager must be able to speak effectively before groups of employees, students, alumnae, other College constituents and the public.
Incumbent must have outstanding proofing and editing skills in addition to being able to read, analyze, and interpret documents, and develop articles for publication, routine reports, procedure manuals and business correspondence (memos, letters and emails).
The position requires the ability to execute marketing through emerging publishing tools/vehicles, as well as advanced level computer skills using the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Familiarity with social media tools/vehicles is preferred, as is experience with Google analytics, email systems and a variety of electronic communication tools. Must be able to generate spreadsheets, graphs, and Power Point presentations.
- Interested candidates should apply here.