Georgia Power is currently filling two (full time) specialist roles on its Corporate Communication team. Interviews are being conducted simultaneously and only one application is necessary for both roles.
Candidates should note that one position will focus extensively on Environmental Affairs – an active and strategic priority for the company – including driving positive communications around the company’s work in sustainability, protecting Georgia’s natural resources, responsibly managing coal combustion residuals and more.
The successful candidates will be responsible for helping to create and implement strategic media relations programs throughout Georgia for the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company, one of the largest energy companies in the U.S. S/he will work closely with the media relations manager and other members of the media relations and crisis communication teams to successfully communicate Georgia Power’s positions on a range of issues, serving daily as an official spokesperson to media and other external audiences.
A key responsibility for the communications specialist will be to develop professional relationships with relevant reporters and news outlets; work closely with other corporate departments to protect, promote and enhance the reputation of Georgia Power; provide counsel and support on critical issues; identify opportunities/story ideas, respond to crises, prepare and update communication plans and other necessary support materials; and proactively pitch positive story opportunities to key news outlets.
Job Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in media relations, communication and/or public affairs-related positions, including preference for past experience with relevant topic areas (environmental affairs, nuclear energy, renewables, electric transportation, energy efficiency, etc.).
- Knowledge and understanding of the electric utility business and the major issues facing the company preferred.
- Previous experience developing relationships with local, regional or national news media. On-camera experience strongly preferred.
- Previous experience interacting with and providing communications counsel to executive management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of news media operations and ability to provide counsel on media issues
- Responsible for providing on-call media response 24 hours a day, seven days a week when scheduled and during emergencies/storms.
- Decisive decision maker with demonstrated ability of managing high pressure, quick turn projects.
- Ability to discern when and how to seek feedback and approval day to day
- Displays ingenuity in anticipating and meeting unexpected situations. Gathers and provides data in advance of need, frequently offering unsought suggestions for improving efficiency. Excels in identifying new areas of opportunity
- Demonstrated experience preparing and providing feedback to executive management for interviews, including developing background packets, issues briefs, anticipated Q&A’s, profiles on reporters, etc.
- Acting daily as company spokesperson, using superior judgment while articulating the company’s position to online, print, radio and television reporters’ inquiries on tight deadlines
- Previous experience writing news releases and briefing materials, developing media packets and organizing press conferences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a particular emphasis on the ability to write concisely and clearly for a variety of audiences and vehicles with a minimum of editing
- Proven ability using social media sites, especially Twitter, to post and respond during crisis situations and operational emergencies, as well as daily interaction with news media and customers
- Able to work well in high-performance team environment. Exceptional project management skills. Ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines at once
- Knowledge and experience with a variety of communications disciplines including public/media relations, customer and employee communications
- Willingness and ability for occasional travel around the state of Georgia
- Candidate must demonstrate behaviors consistent with the company culture – Unquestionable trust, Superior Performance and Total Commitment
- Assertive and convincing but diplomatic in communication style
- Self-directed, self-starter and innovative. Energetic and enterprising
- Takes ownership and exhibits strong initiative. Eager to take on new assignments
- To apply for this position, please click here.
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America’s premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the Company’s promise to 2.6 million customers in all but four of Georgia’s 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the Company is recognized by J.D. Power as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the Company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.