The Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners, Communications Division uses a variety of communications tools to deliver informative, insightful, and engaging messages about Gwinnett County Government’s programs and services to the more than 960,000 residents who call Gwinnett home.
The Communications Division is comprised of four primary disciplines: Public Relations, Graphic Design, Multimedia, and Web. We use all forms of communication to keep the public informed about their local government: web, video, social media, other electronic media, print publications, and emerging technologies.
The Public Relations Supervisor works in a fast-paced environment to supervise, plan, and execute communications campaigns to reach target audiences and plays a key role in ensuring messages are informative, insightful, accurate, and engaging.
- Serves as a working supervisor to include prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations
- Develops project management processes and oversees public relations team workflow
- Collaborates with a team of graphic and web designers, video producers, and other public relations professionals to ensure understanding and executing on communications needs and requirements
- Accepts and provides constructive criticism and resolves conflicts in order to meet the needs of managers, clients, and peers
- Researches, writes, and prepares content for social media pages, presentations, marketing materials, speeches, websites, newsletters, video scripts, and correspondence
- Creates content for ongoing email newsletters and maintains distribution lists
- Edits and reviews original and prepared content for errors before printing or publishing final work
- Manages and maintains branding and style standards including font, image, content, and logo usage
- Assists with media relations, including developing news releases, facilitating information requests, and conducting on-camera interviews
- Conceptualizes, designs, and creates print and electronic materials, including newsletters, flyers, brochures, logos, graphics, and templates
- Coordinates special projects and special events.
- Keeps a pulse on new communications tools/tactics and seeks new opportunities to reach target audiences.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
- Performs additional duties as assigned and works extended hours, including weekends and evenings, as needed to support the Communications Division’s programs and services.
Required Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing, or a related field
- Five years of experience in public relations or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job
- Two years of supervisory experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and able to demonstrate skills in Adobe Creative Suite applications such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- A strong writer with experience in proofreading, editing, and following AP style
- Demonstrated experience in developing effective relationships with internal and external clients
- Excellent verbal communication skills and presentation skills
- Understanding of various communications methods and how to develop effective messaging
- Working knowledge of systems, techniques, processes, and terminology used in social media, web design, printing, and other applicable media
Preferred Training and Skills:
- An exceptionally creative communicator with impeccable interpersonal and customer service skills
- Flexible, open-minded, willing to adapt to changing/competing priorities, able to manage multiple demands, and skilled in time management
- Public relations agency experience
- Experienced in on-camera reporting and developing scripts for video
- Skilled in photography and the use of photo editing software
- Someone who enjoys learning and continually seeking new ways to grow personally and professionally
- Bilingual and able to read, write, and speak Spanish proficiently
- Experience developing content for digital media, specifically email newsletters and social media, and measuring digital media tools for their effectiveness
- To apply, please click here. As an attachment to your application, please upload your three best original writing samples that demonstrate public relations writing. Samples can include, but are not limited to, news releases, feature stories, newsletter articles, and blog posts.
This position is a grade 104. It is the policy of Gwinnett County to provide equal employment opportunities with regard to all terms and conditions of employment and to base employment decisions on job related qualifications of the applicants or the employee.